Information for Travelers
Entry Requirements to Costa Rica
- Step 1- Purchase travel insurance. (if you are vaccinated, this is not necessary go to step 2)
- Step 2- Completing the HEALTH PASS online form available at https://salud.go.cr
You can skip Travel Insurance If you are :
A minor (under 18) and fully vaccinated adults can enter Costa Rica as tourists without purchasing a travel health insurance policy.
To qualify, adults must:
1) Have received an approved vaccine: Moderna, Pfizer, AstraZeneca, or Johnson & Johnson.
2) The last dose of the schedule must have been administered at least 14 days before entering Costa Rica.
3) Proof with a document that includes the person’s full name, date of each dose, formula, and lot number.
For U.S. visitors, the Covid-19 vaccination record card meets the requirement.
If you do not qualify, you need to purchase insurance.
Tourists must acquire mandatory travel insurance that covers lodging in the event of quarantine as well as medical expenses due to contracting COVID-19. Daily cost approximately $12 if under 70, $25 if over 70 years old.
A- Sagicor: click HERE
B- INS: click HERE
C- BlueCross BlueShield: click HERE
d- Trawick International (most affordable option): click HERE
If you plan to use other international insurance, make sure that it meets the following requirements:
- Valid for the entire stay in Costa Rica (coverage dates).
- 50,000 USD for medical expenses, including those from COVID-19.
- 2,000 USD for lodging expenses in the event of COVID-19 quarantine.
STEP 2: Completing the HEALTH PASS online.
You can find the pass here: https://salud.go.cr
You can only fill the form within 72 hours of your flight.
If you purchased insurance from a Local option ( a-b-c ) you just include the insurance number.
If you purchased (d) or are using other international insurance: You will need to upload copies of the Insurance policy.
For more Information, visit the official site: Click HERE
Entry Requirements to USA:
CDC requires all air passengers entering the United States (including U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents) to present a negative COVID-19 test, taken within (3) calendar days of departure or proof of recovery from the virus within the last (90) days.
If you are not a US traveler, check your country embassy website for entry requirements.
SJO Airport offers Covid testing
Laboratorios Echandi rapid antigen tests at SJO with results guaranteed within an hour. The service costs $65 and is available 24/7.
Please make sure to book your test at least 4 hours prior to your flight
Book your test: https://covid.morphotr.com/
Covid Testing at Los Sueños Resort Clinic Herradura
Located directly in front of Cabletica. All you need to do is call +506-2637-8610 or email [email protected] and their bilingual staff will walk you through the process.
COVID TESTS: PCR & Antigen:
- The antigen tests for COVID-19, otherwise known as rapid tests, cost US $85 + tax, per test and the response time is up to 24 to 36 hours.
- The PCR cost is US $150 per test plus 4% tax. per test and the response time is up to 36 to 48 hours.
- Payment: is received by credit or debit card & cash
- Antigen (Rapid tests): Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday. From: 7:00 AM – 01:00 PM
- PCR: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday From: 02:00 PM – 07:00 PM
DON’T FORGET TO BRING YOUR PASSPORT, IT WILL BE REQUESTED TO COMPLETE YOUR TEST